3/3/17

What Is Life?

I was watching TV and came across a show about the possibility of finding "life" on other planets.

It got me thinking about the controversy over defining when a human baby becomes alive. For some reason this seems to be a big issue for people in determining the ethics of abortion.

At the 2 extremes, those on the anti abortion "Pro Life" side argue that life begins at conception. On the far "Pro Choice" extreme, they argue that a child is not actually "alive" until it takes it's first breath outside the mother's body and therefore, believe it or not, they think it is acceptable to abort a pregnancy up until the moment of birth- for ANY reason.

I for one believe that life begins at conception and going back to my opening sentence in this post, I offer this scientific justification. If we were to send a probe, rover, whatever, to another planet (Mars for example) and it was to dig up even one lone single celled organism, the headlines in every news program and paper in the world would read "Life Found On Mars!". It wouldn't say "Random mass of cells that's definitely not alive found on Mars!" it would just say Life.

Personally I'm staunchly Pro Life. I'm also Agnostic, so the Judeo-Christian arguments in the Pro Life / Pro Abortion debate don't factor in for me. I do however believe in science, and from a scientific viewpoint I think the definition of Life is pretty clear in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment